What is it?
A one-off top up grant for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses worth up to £9,000 per property and is in addition to existing grant support. The one-off top-ups will be granted to closed businesses as follows:
- £4,000 for businesses with a rateable value of £15,000 or under
- £6,000 for businesses with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000
- £9,000 for businesses with a rateable value of over £51,000
Am I eligible?
Your business may be eligible if it:
- is based in England
- occupies property on which it pays business rates (and is the ratepayer)
- has been required to close because of the national restrictions from 5 January 2021 onwards
- has been unable to provide its usual in-person customer service from its premises
- This could include non-essential retail, leisure, personal care, sports facilities, tourism and hospitality businesses. It could also include businesses that operate primarily as an in-person venue, but which have been forced to close those services and provide a takeaway-only service instead.
Eligible businesses can get one grant for each non-domestic property.
You cannot get funding if:
- you can continue to operate during the period of restrictions because you do not depend on providing direct in-person services from your premises (for example, accountants)
- you have chosen to close, but have not been required to close as part of national restrictions
- your business is in administration, insolvent or has been struck off the Companies House register
- you have exceeded the permitted subsidy limit
- You must notify your local council if your situation changes and you no longer meet the eligibility criteria.
To find out if you are eligible, click here.
What do I need to do to access it?
Visit your local council’s website to find out how to apply.
Guidance for local authorities can be found here.
Who do I need to speak to?
Speak to your local council.